Saturday, June 15, 2024

No Hare, Just Tortoise

 


My days of frantically keeping the plates spinning are pretty much over.  These days a typical day will consist of a leisurely morning, a couple of hours of weaving, then puttering, dealing with other things.

Lately, that 'puttering' has been mostly writing - thinking about, researching, weaving samples where required, then getting words generated.  

I find that this is a schedule I can get behind!

There are other things that need dealing with, life being what it is.  But in the 'golden' years of my life, I think I can be more-or-less happy if I can keep getting to the loom a couple times a day, then maybe write some articles.  Getting paid to write articles is nice.  It covers the cost of the sampling, but mostly it keeps my mind thinking, picking through options, trying to understand how the craft 'works'.

Yesterday I also started doing an inventory of my tea towels, preparing for my big sale in July.  Sales of everything, everywhere, seem to be very slow.  I'm not the only creative person to notice this.  All my friends trying to earn an income from making stuff are scrambling to keep the wolf away from the door, food on the table and a roof overhead.  

One thing about being immune compromised and wanting to avoid crowds, we don't spend much money on concerts, dining out, travelling hither and thither.  Given my progressing physical issues, staying home is looking pretty attractive, to be honest.  So I spend money on small things - this week I received my latest order of jigsaw puzzles, and a couple more books to add to my to-be-read pile!  

Today's not-weaving tasks include trimming the fringes on the 3 shawls ready to be done, running the next three through the washer/dryer, dealing with a personal 'problem' which requires me to get online and register for a service (I really don't like doing that sort of thing, but hopefully it won't require a lot of effort to accomplish!) and then start listing the rest of the guild books I'd like to see re-homed.

None of these things has a hard and fast deadline, just my own desire to get them done and out of my hair.  Like I said to my spouse this morning, I can't wait to the last minute before a deadline because there is no more hare, only tortoise left in me.  Slow and steady wins the day.

In the end, I suppose that is going to have to be 'enough'.

No comments: