Friday, April 24, 2015

Lovely Lace



Don't forget to biggify for a larger picture...


A friend came over one day, early in my career, looked around my house and wondered where all my weaving was.  I told her I couldn't afford my own weaving...

Over the years I have made a few things especially for me but I have kept very little.  Many of the hand woven textiles I have in my home were actually woven by friends - mostly tea towels.  I always recognize who made the towel du jour and I feel they are close to me, even though physically they may be very far away.

I did keep most of the textiles woven for the master weaver certificate, although even those in some instances have found other homes.

The silk scarf pictured above is one of the things I have kept.  It was woven from 2/60 silk in Huck Lace.  The butterflies (or moths - I can never keep them straight in my mind), flutter across the cloth as they will.  The cloth has areas of spots, lace and plain weave.  It isn't perfect, but it's pretty close.

It was a nice ramble down memory lane as I pulled examples for the workshop this weekend...and for the contract...more news on that once everything is settled.

I know, I'm such a tease!  :^)

3 comments:

Brenda said...

Ooooh, lace. I haven't woven lace for a LONG time. I even have a lace weaving book, a prize from some guild show 20 years ago.

Sandra Rude said...

Of the hundreds of scarves and shawls I've woven over the years, there are only 3 in my own collection. Mostly because they go with colors of garments in my closet... OTOH, like you, I have towels created by many other weavers, and treasure each one as a link to the weaver.

Peg Cherre said...

I love the butterfly/moth piece! Truly lovely. 16H?

Yeah, I like to wear a scarf when I go somewhere public so will often pull one from my bins of items for sale, but don't keep them. Unless I slobber while I"m out, but I'm pretty careful not to. ;-)

Towels? I have a few of mine and several from a towel exchange.