Sunday, January 24, 2021

Good Ideas

 


linen placemats, woven for Magic in the Water

I always forget how much work it takes to bring a new idea into reality.  I look at the end goal and think - that looks like a good idea.  Forgetting the logistics of doing it.

You'd think that, by now, after years of dreaming big dreams I'd know better.  But apparently not.

I did it right from day one, deciding that weaving looked like a good idea.  Selling hand woven goods?  How hard could it be?

Heh.

I did it with the Guild of Canadian Weavers master weaver program.  That looks like a good idea.  How hard could it be?

Heh.

I did it with Magic in the Water.  Information on wet finishing was (imho) desperately needed.  How hard could it be?

Heh.

Selling 1000 copies?  Easy-peasy.

Heh.

I busted a gut making those good ideas become reality.  And, while I don't regret it (much), you would think I would know better than to come up with more 'good ideas' now, when I'm supposed to be 'retired'.

Heh.

So.  Study group.  How hard could it be?

Heh.

Herding cats.  Getting ducks in a row.  Butterflies to fly in formation. You'd think I would know better, right?

Heh.

So no, I won't do the study group on any other platform than Facebook.  If someone is completely averse to being on there, I get it.  But it's the platform that is available and it works for my purpose.

So no, I'm not going to set a price to participate.  It will be by donation via my ko-fi account.

The group is now set up and if anyone wants to participate they can let me know.  OR, people who are now members can invite others.  But I want this group to be interested in taking a deep dive into the craft.

I expect it to last between 10 and 12 months based around monthly Zoom presentations.

I expect to prepare/write a Power Point with the main points, then take questions.  When appropriate I will do demonstrations.  I bought a small white board and will Katie Porter when that is appropriate.

I mean, really, how hard can it be?

Heh.

2 comments:

Peg Cherre said...

Good for you. Stick to your guns. I admit one bit of confusion though-what is the Katie Porter reference?

Laura Fry said...

How she uses a small white board to make her points.