Monday, January 25, 2021

Pivoting

 



One of the reasons I decided to stop teaching for guilds was the extreme toll it was taking on me physically.  I didn't want to be a travel agent any more.  I didn't want to deal with time zone changes any more.  I didn't want to sleep in strange beds, eat food that I didn't know was 'safe' (not allergens).

So I 'retired'.  I intended to continue teaching for Olds College because I believe in the course content, but then the pandemic hit.  And all the classes were cancelled.  Even now, as we ease into 2021 and vaccines are rolling out, there is no guarantee that the classes will go ahead this year.  Things just are not going well, travel is not recommended.  Mr.  Trudeau has not issued blanket travel bans, as such, just strong recommendations against travel, but there are still people flying off here and there - because they can.

The number of cases continues to rise and now there are mutations - because of course there are.

Many people are starting to get antsy about not being able to gather, wanting to learn.  Wanting to have the opportunity to learn.

I kind of got dragged, kicking and screaming, into doing on line presentations.  I have done a couple, but only as a presenter, not the person doing the logistics of it.  But.  

So this 'old dog' is learning 'new tricks'.

No, I don't enjoy the administrivia of setting up on line groups, answering the questions, explaining why I am making the choices I am making, and no, I won't do that thing you want me to do.  Because I have sorted through my options and come up with a plan that I can live with.

Yes, I know about Patreon.  I chose not to use it.  

Yes, I know Facebook is evil.  I chose to use that platform because I can do what I need to do on it.

No, the group is not for everyone.   No one needs to tell me why that is so.  Join, or not, do what is best for you.  

As I remind my students, I am not a helicopter teacher.  I assume that as adults everyone can do a Google search for stuff.  Most of the time I will provide a link to point someone at a specific site, but sometimes, doing the search oneself might turn up something related.  Kind of like thumbing through the card catalogue at the library.  Surprising what you can find when you just go looking.

Since last summer I have set up monthly seminars with presenters literally around the world - or a big chunk of it.  I have bought Zoom Pro and started to learn how to use it.  I have figured out how to record the meetings, edit it (rough edits, not fine tuned), render, save, up load to You Tube.  And then?  Decided to run on line groups.  Yes, plural.  I now have two groups I am leading.  Plus monthly meetings with local knitters because we are all feeling the lack of in person socialization.  And Zoom at least allows us to show what we are working on and each other's faces.

So it was a good thing I set up my planning calendar for this year.  Because almost every Sunday this year I will be on a Zoom call.  

I struggled making that decision, I really did.  But if not me, who?  If not now, when?

So, how's that retirement working out????

4 comments:

Jane McLellan said...

Well at least you don’t have to travel or risk strange foods.

lyna said...

"Kind of like thumbing through the card catalogue at the library."
How many people under 40 will remember the card catalog? I remember when our library here phased out the physical catalog in favor of the computer. Moved it to the back on each floor, then only one in the building, then gone.
Serendipity is one reason I prefer the physical newspaper to the online version. I can skim the (to me) less important sections' headlines, captions and photos quickly. I sometimes find something I did not know was intriguing until I read it. Online news and digital catalogs both make it too easy to never see what we are not already looking to find.

Laura Fry said...

Yes, I used to be the person who typed those cards up, then filed them. I spent a lot of time thumbing through cards. Finding treasurers. I kind of sighed when the physical cards went away.

picotsnkeys said...

How's that retirement working out? Well, for me, about as well as any transition in my life. There are good days and truly awful days. I too am finding myself very busy with a full calendar. Here's to keeping the schedule free for time to sit and find treasures!