Saturday, January 23, 2021

Onwards into the Future

 


I decided to make a few more place mats for several reasons.  I had been having issues weaving on the Leclerc Fanny and stopped for a year.  The physical issues I was having (long, looooooong story) appear to be somewhat resolved and I wanted to see if I could weave on that loom comfortably enough to decide if I should keep it or get rid of it.

It was a difficult decision because the Leclerc is a workhorse and well suited to things that require a firm beat.  So - place mats for one.  Also good for things like rayon chenille.  And it's great for striped warps because it has a regular back beam not a sectional.  While I can, and do, wind a warp and beam it onto a sectional beam, it's not something I prefer to do.  Much easier to just toss it at the Leclerc.

There was also a warp I'd wound way back in 2019 and had never woven off because I was just having way too much pain.  So I began with that.  Then I took a long look at the 2/8 yarn stash, checked my place mat inventory, and there were some colours that I was low on and decided to beef up those colours.

While rummaging, I came across a quite bright green and I have a friend who loves green, bright green the very best.  Since she does a lot for the guild - and for me - and she hosts large dinner parties in non-covid times, I figured I would do a warp of that bright green for her.  She will get the table runner and all 12 mats, in part because I know she will use them.

So far I've woven the grey warp that was in the holding pen, and the green, which is in the dryer as I write this, and I will wind one of the blue combinations today and get the loom dressed again.  Or at least start to do that.  

Once I finish the two mat warps in the queue, I'll go back to the Megado and give my body a rest from the heavy pounding needed for the mats.

But of course, during the dive into my 2/8 cotton I had more ideas bubble to the surface!  So now my plan is to weave one scarf warp, then maybe one or two more (with 5 or 6 scarves, depending) and then go back to the Leclerc and weave some striped warp kitchen towels on that loom.  Because I have a huge amount of cotton flake to use up.

2/8 cotton warp and cotton flake weft makes a nice thick cloth that works well as a utility kitchen towel.  It's not what I would call a tea towel because it won't dry glasses very well - too thick!  But it will still work to dry large pots/pan or one's hands.  Those warps will go onto the Leclerc but since they don't require a heavy beat, I'm curious to see if I can weave that quality of cloth without setting my recovery back.

If I can, I plan on keeping the loom so that I have the option of winding warps on the warping board and using it, or if I have to resign myself to taking off the sectional rakes to do that on the Megado, or mess with beaming a wound warp onto the sectional beam.

Decisions, decisions.

It is a marker of my recovery that I am actually beginning to have the energy to do things again, and my 'dreams' (if you will) are beginning to expand.  Yes, I can do this!  Yes, I can do that!  Well, that remains to be seen, but at least I feel more functional, just very tired.  All the damned time.  There doesn't seem to be much I can do about that.  The Nurse Practitioner reminded me that fatigue is a function of the dis-ease of my body.

So - new normal?  Not really.  I've been dealing with fatigue since the end of 2006, off and on.  Now it seems to be 'on' all the damned time.

With covid and my age (and thankfully I *am* aging, because the alternative sucks), I have to make some decisions.  So far I assume I'm still scheduled to go out to Cape Breton in May - except that I doubt covid is going to allow that kind of gathering and long distance travel.  So I'm prepared to see that cancel.  I've agreed to teach level one at Olds College in June - but Alberta isn't doing well on the covid front, and frankly, I'd like to just see everyone stay at home until vaccines can bring herd immunity.  Trudeau projected September on the news the other night, but time will tell.

I turn 71 this year and frankly?  I'm not sure I'm up to driving the mountains anymore.  As much as I love the trip.  As much as I enjoy long road trips, yes, all by myself, the reality is they are getting more and more difficult.

So.  Here we are in the 21st century and I've learned Zoom.  I've given two presentations with another booked for Jan. 31, one in Feb., and more to come.  I've started a mentoring group on line, learned how to record, edit, render, upload to You Tube.

Can I teach on line?  It seems I can.  It's not the same as teaching in real life, but still...

If I were to begin a study group on line - Facebook page (I know, FB is evil, but it can also be used effectively by most), private, Zoom meetings, recorded, link to an unlisted video, and....I would expect some kind of payment.  Because for the Zoom meetings I spend a couple of hours preparing for them, I monitor the FB group page and answer questions, and generally make myself available for feedback.

If anyone would be interested in participating in such a study group, based on my book The Intentional Weaver, you must *email* me to indicate your interest.  Email works best for me so that I could contact you when (and if) I decide to proceed.  You should also have a copy of my book as that is the resource that would be used.

If you want to know how much investment you would have to make, let me say that I have a ko-fi account where people can buy me a 'coffee'.  It would be up to each person to decide how much they could afford, how much value they derive from each Zoom meeting.

So - interested?  Email me laura@laurafry.com  It must be an email, not just a comment here or on the links I post to FB and Twitter.

No comments: