Saturday, April 27, 2024

Exchange Rate Discount

 


As the book auction begins to wind up, I'd like to remind people that if you are in the US, the prices listed in the auction are *Canadian* dollars.  So you get an automatic exchange rate 'discount'.  How much?  Dunno.  The exchange rate fluctuates, so it depends.

And *I* have zero control over the exchange rate, just saying.

I have begun culling books from the auction, beginning with my lace books (which I used to test the site).  Those books have been relisted twice and apparently no one is much interested so I am removing them and will think about how else I can get them into other hands.

Once I'm over the hump of getting the bundles of books currently waiting for their auctions to end, and get them out of my hair, I will begin culling the weaving books, too.  Again, I may look at other options for re-homing them.

I told my spouse before the auction began that I estimated that it would require about 100 hours of volunteer time to sell Allison's books.  And I'm right on track with how much time I've already spent preparing for the auction, then doing the listings, and monitoring the site answering questions.  The most popular one being if I will ship multiple purchases to the same address can they get a 'break' on the shipping.  Yes, of course.  Which simply means a lot more work on my part to track those, and make sure I get the books to the correct person, then issue refunds for the shipping once I have the final receipt from Canada Post.

And no, eBay, I won't add a US carrier to make things more convenient for US purchasers.  Canada Post does a good job and I know how their systems work, I'll stick with that, thankyouverymuch.

But all of this re-homing of Allison's books is reminding me that I really, truly, need to face the fact that I have way too many books and need to begin thinking about my own studio stuff.

I'm just not ready to begin downsizing things like books.  

I do, however, currently have a younger person willing to help with getting rid of my things.  I suggest that if you don't, maybe you should make friends with someone who will act as your studio executrix, or better yet, do it while you are still alive and can help make those decisions.  I'm finding it quite satisfying to see Allison's books go to younger hands and hope that these books will be loved for many more years to come.

No comments: