Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Good Intentions

 


photo by Andrew Kurjata

I had good intentions for today. 

I went to bed thinking I could get up 'early' (earlier than I have been lately), jump into the shower, then leap onto the loom.  ('Jumping' and 'leaping' being relative terms these days.)

Anyway, I didn't.

Instead I saw another post about the abnormal drought conditions with photos by a local journalist of the rivers, and once again Blinker Boys stoutly insisting that the river is always 'low' this time of year.

Yeah, about the term 'low'...

Low is not almost completely dry.

This photo shows the devastation better than many others I've seen.  This bridge normally has, at the very least, a wide channel of water at the far end.  But even that is barely a trickle, almost invisible from this angle.  There IS still water in that deep channel, but this is not just 'low', this is damn near barren.

It does not bode well for the coming summer when the river is traditionally 'dry' in places - but never, not even in the driest summer I can remember (and I've got 70 years of memory to draw upon) have I seen the rivers *this* dry.

Anyway, time marches on - and so does climate change.

Just now I got a phone call saying our new hybrid vehicle is in town.  We ordered it last August.  Are we upset it has taken this long to get it?

No.  We are 'old'.  We are very familiar with the concept of waiting for something.  We scrimped and saved, and paid more for this vehicle than we have ever, in our lifetimes, paid.  It isn't even a very fancy vehicle, but it IS a hybrid, and as such, our dependency upon gas will be reduced.  Not entirely.  Because just like with the heat pump, we need to have a petroleum based 'back up'.  So we have a natural gas back up for the heat pump - which we needed over the winter when temps went below -25C.  And we'll need gas back up for the vehicle at times, especially during the winter.

We added in a few creature comforts - heated seats and steering wheel.  Extras that have come down in price since we last looked at having them.  And at our age, creature comforts seem to be a lot more desirable.  And we aren't traveling much anymore, or going to concerts, movies, dining out (because I'm still dodging Covid and other viruses).  So why not splurge a little on what may well be our 'last' vehicle we ever purchase?

Back to weaving related things...

I have finished inventorying and pricing the guild books.  The guild members get first dibs until April 14 after which I will begin listing them, 10 titles at a time.  

The books will be listed alphabetically according to author and my plan is to list 10 more each day until they are all listed.

I don't feel like spending the hours it will take to list them all, all in one day.  I cannot sit at the computer that long anymore without paying for it at the end of the day.  Besides, I'm not sure I even could list all of them in one day, even if I tried.

Yesterday I managed to tie on and start weaving the last third of the current warp.  The next one is designed, ready to be beamed just as soon as I get this one off.

And I have photos taken for the first article for SOS.  I'm hoping to start writing that this afternoon.

But first I still need to jump into the shower and leap onto the loom.  Relatively speaking...

No comments: