Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Failed Experiment

 


plain weave, not compressed


plain weave, compressed

I have been thinking for a while how I can illustrate what compression does to cloth and came up with the idea that I could 'weave' some plasticine 'rods' into plain weave and then compress them to show what happens when threads undergo compression during wet finishing.

Unfortunately the plasticine I had was really 'wet' and extremely 'sticky' and it was a nightmare to work with.  So it didn't work very well.

However, it worked well enough that I think if I get some better quality stuff it might show what happens in a more informative way.  I'll look around and see what I can find at a toy store or art supply store.

If you squint, you should be able to see that the 'threads' have flattened and spread out into the spaces between the 'warp' and 'weft'.  It should also be apparent if you look hard that the surface of the compressed example is shiny in comparison to the uncompressed.

If you don't succeed, try again?

No comments: