Monday, August 19, 2024

Reflection

 


Maybe it's all the health issues I've been having for the past while.  Maybe it's the fact that the high school reunion will be happening next month (and I'm not going, even though I still live in the same town I grew up in - because I don't 'do' large indoor gatherings - because Covid), maybe it's just that I've reached 'that' age.

Maybe it's the fact that I wrote a 'memoir' last year and published it this year.  Maybe I just never grew out of the 'what's it all about Alfi' stage and I've always kind of, sort of, wondered why I'm here and what I'm 'supposed' to be doing.

I certainly have not chosen a life that society deemed was appropriate for me.  And even now there is a huge slice of the population trying to tell me again that - because I'm childless, old, and broken - I'm useless.

What value do we put on life?  Anyone's life?  Is ours the most valuable?  Maybe.  Mine is certainly of value to me.  But is it of value to others?  

Covid has caused a lot of people to ask themselves how much they care about themselves, and others.  And some of them just don't. 

Climate change is another turning point - literally.  On the news nearly every night there is a litany of 'unnautral' disasters - flooding, wildfires, hurricanes, tornadoes, landslides, sinkholes, diminishing glaciers, rising seas.  And every single night, the big 'news' is how governments are going to mitigate the damage, and never, not once, does anyone say 'wait, maybe, just maybe we should be working at fixing the problem instead of the symptoms'.  Instead one politician is stumping around Canada (and why is he doing that, he's not supposed to start campaigning until the writ drops) chanting Axe The Tax!

I'm far too old now to care much about what others think of me.  Maybe because I chose a different path while in my 20s and abandoned society's expectation that I would have 2.5 children, keep a spotless home, have a 9 to 5 job that was killing my creativity/soul.  

I watched my father die slowly from a nasty cancer, far too young.  And I asked myself, was I willing to put nose to grindstone and do what was expected of me or was I going to feed my soul and do what *I* wanted.

It didn't hurt that I could joke about it.  After all, you have to be warped to weave, right?  So I embraced that.  

I chose the road less travelled.  What I didn't expect to find were so many others who also found that road less travelled more interesting than what society had deemed imperative.

As I look back on my life, I have done more, accomplished more, met more people, been more places, than a blue collar kid growing up in the middle of the province had any reason to expect.

Regrets?  Well, I have a few, but I suspect that had I NOT chosen the road I did, I would have been a very unhappy person.  Instead I have helped, encouraged, and promoted others.  I have tried, in every way I could think of, to teach others, point them in the direction of more information when I could not provide an answer myself.  And every day, I get to create something new.  Something that has never existed before.  I focus on creating things, not destroying them.

And all in all, that seems like enough, even if I have to do it at a much slower pace than I used to be able to maintain.

Stay warped, my friends.  

4 comments:

Melissa C-J said...

Like your life (but also very different), my life has not been what was expected. I applaud your years of making and sharing, as opposed to destroying and hoarding. Your concerns resonate with my concerns. Thank you for writing so eloquently. May the Warp be with you.

My husband Jerry gave me your book "Stories From the Matrix" for my birthday this month. A stomach bug kept me from doing much reading. But...

OMG. The first sentence in the foreward made my jaw drop and shivers run down my spine!

Loralee Schultz begins the foreward by mentioning her 2002 move from Canada to California and then joining the weavers guild in Brookings, Oregon. Loralee is the only person (besides my family) that I’ve encountered in the past seventy some years who has been to Brookings!

I began fourth grade in Brookings, Oregon in 1951 after my family moved to Oregon from central California to lease a dairy farm on the Winchuck River. My favourite childhood memories include my years there. Later I lived at the home of my ballet teacher in Brookings while I attended Year 9 at Brookings High School. Amazing memories. The interconnections of total strangers in different times that are revealed by writing and weaving make an ever more interesting web of life and knowledge.

You might guess I am hooked on your book! Not only your writing captivates me, but also the way you put together your book and present your weaving knowledge and experiences. Who knew I would be FanGirling in my 80s? Please keep writing… and weaving.

Anonymous said...

I don't agree that you are childless. Children are more than the 'gift' of our DNA to the future and it annoys me that that is the only parenting so much of society values, especially where women are concerned. The important parts of parenting are teaching, encouraging and fostering and they have nothing to do with biology. Every weaver you have taken under your wing and taught is one of your children, a true gift to the future.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with Anonymous!! Nina

Anonymous said...

Every life is important. The homeless, the drug addicts, the killers, rapists, polluters, the home makers, the home wreckers, the disabled, the fit, the ancient, broken, and alone. We are here on a blue ball spinning in space, and all of our births are unlikely miracles. Time is short, make the most of it. Love someone, share, try to be kind, this is your chance. Holly in Brookings, Oregon