Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Goldilocks Zone

 


A magazine article isn't a book, but some topics almost cry out for longer explanations and deeper dives.  

Weaving isn't hard, but it's complex.  How do I approach writing an article that is actually very 'layered' and nuanced, within a strict word count?  How many tunnels in a particular rabbit warren do I go down, and how much detail do I include?

Do I whet someone's appetite for more so that they go exploring or do I lay it all out?  

When is too much information too much to absorb?

These are questions I have been wrestling with as I try to tease out the end of this particular thread and follow it - as logically as I can - for the current article.  It's one reason I wrote Magic in the Water - what I wanted, needed, to say could not be contained within an 'article'.  It needed a deeper dive in order to cover the topic.  

For now, I think I've covered what I wanted to cover while leaving room for others to poke around and discover more on their own.  Will it be enough?

Guess I'll find out?

No comments: