Sunday, August 11, 2024

Stalled


First two books available here

 

I've woven the samples I felt needed to be woven, and am beginning to dive into my bins of teaching samples to add to what I wove recently.  But I've hit a roadblock.

There is a shittonne of information in those samples.  How do I distill it out for others?  So much of weaving is in the *experience* of taking the threads and turning them into cloth, and all the steps along the way.  The conclusions are 'in the hand' - better felt than described.

How can I convey the knowledge I gained in the doing for someone else to benefit from?

Normally (ha) I don't have much trouble setting down in words what I want to say, but I've really hit a road block on this article.  Until I figure out how to express the knowledge gained in the doing I suspect I'm going to continue to wallow.

My effort to do this has not been helped by continuing pain which robs me of the ability to think beyond very simple things.  I can weave, I'm fine with that.  But can I think?  Unfortunately, not really.

However, I finally decided to run an experiment and see if I could tweak my pain meds.  I can say there has been a slight improvement, but the experiment continues and this coming week will tell me if I have got the right end of the stick (so to speak) and if I can get my brain working better.

As for the weaving, it's pretty much all of the same.  The process of weaving is just that - a process that needs to happen in order to obtain cloth at the end of it.  It all looks pretty much the same, day in, day out.

I'm fine with that, but it makes for pretty boring writing/reading!

Today I will cut the first 7 towels off the loom, re-tie and get ready to do the next section.  I'm hoping to have this warp off the loom in about 10 days.  Last night I decided on the colour combination for the next warp, and have an idea for the draft.  It will be a re-working of a draft I did last year, adjusted for the different weave structure.  Until I put it all into Fiberworks, I won't know if it will actually work, or not.  

Today's goal is to sit down and start listing the woven samples and choose the samples from my stash.  Once I've got them all organized, then I should be able to begin writing.  Thankfully my alpha reader seems willing to continue with that 'job'.  I just don't trust my own brain right now.

No comments: