Sunday, January 18, 2009

Spring Colours



My preference for a colour palette is generally the rich vibrant reds/purples/blues commonly referred to as 'jewel' tones. Either that or tone on tone, generally variations of natural/bleached whites.

That said, every once in a while I find myself working with paler colours with yellow undertones. This warp didn't start out with the intention of using this pale celery green linen as weft, but what a pleasant surprise it's turned into.

The warp is the same greyed blue/green with a little lavendar that I used up the last of the fine white chenille and the singles linen on before I left for warm weather with no snow. Perhaps the touch of spring (summer for us, if truth be told) left a deeper imprint than expected. :^) Let's just say I tried the yarn as a whim, and have been so delighted with it that I'm going to try to use up the whole 2 pound cone on this warp. Because frankly, I don't know when I'll do another warp that would be so perfect for it!

I still have a small tube of a golden yellow, and a much sharper yellow green to use up. But neither of those appeals to me - or at least, not on this warp - so they will patiently await another time, another warp.

Once this warp is off the loom, I'll be re-tooling my set up in order to go back to using the rest of my fine yarns one at a time instead of doubled. This will mean a return to 30-36 epi/ppi. I still have about 6 pounds of the extremely fine white linen to use. I'll have to check grist and see how closely it matches the fine cottons that are left for size.

In the meantime, there are still 15+ yards left on this warp to weave, a workshop to update, a proto-type or two to construct, skeins to wind and dye. Somehow burying myself in work in the studio seems particularly appealing as I look out the window at the ice fog that descended last night and never went away today.

More warm weather in February? Take me to it! Birmingham and Tampa, here I come - soon!

1 comment:

Sandra Rude said...

What wonderful spring colors! That weft is indeed perfect. -- Sandra