Sunday, September 6, 2009

Square One (and Two)



Here is the end of square one and the beginning of square two.

Yes, that's a temple in the upper right corner. This yarn is stretchy, more akin to a knitting yarn than a weaving yarn, and as such the draw in begins to affect the selvedges creating issues. Less of a problem when I'm using a hand shuttle and can adjust the tension of each pick, but I'm using the fly shuttle so the tension is constant. Any less tension on the shuttle and I'd probably have loops at the edge. :(

So even though I really don't like to use the temple, in this case slower by the inch means a better quality product.

If Doug could just figure out how to attach the roller temples to the AVL I'd use them all the time. But so far any plans for installation have meant major surgery on the loom and a level of down time I'm not willing to deal with. I wish we'd found ring temples instead of roller temples. Ring temples are much smaller and wouldn't take up so much room.

In the meantime, I'm left with two options. Not use them and weave more quickly - and have too much draw in with this yarn - or use them and weave more slowly and not have to deal with broken selvedge threads. A third option would be to use the hand shuttle, but at 37" in the reed, that level of stretching and reaching would mean neck issues that I really don't want to deal with!

Choices - and consequenses. That's what Life - and Weaving - is all about.

3 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

Sooooooo true......

Unknown said...

Fireside Looms says they have a rotary temple that can be mounted on an AVL. I haven't tried it yet, though. (Still saving up.)

Is that the kind you have, or something else+

Laura said...

I've got something else, but will hopefully be able to see the Fireside temple next year at Convergence. :) One of the things on my shopping list.... :)
Cheers,
Laura