Friday, August 11, 2023

Closed

 


are these the same yarns?

If you keep a closed mind, you can't take in new information.

There are many aspects of weaving (and no doubt other crafts) where the subtleties of the craft are such that it becomes a lifetime of learning.  Because change one thing and everything can change.

Let's say a weaver uses the same brand/range of yarns and rarely uses anything else.

They have a 'set' length and width they tend to stay within and as long as they do, the processes, tools and experience they have mean they generally have 'success'.

All is well, and they don't understand issues someone else may be having.  According to their reality bubble, everyone else just needs to do what they do and success will be assured.

That doesn't mean they necessarily understand the principles of the craft.  It means they have a skill set that serves them well, and they are happy.  As they should be.

The problem arises when they see someone having problems and try to help.  

Unfortunately the other person's circumstances may vary widely from their own and their advice is...not necessarily helpful.

Over the years I have seen this dynamic over and over again.  Especially when I try to explain *why* the correct answer will depend.

Sometimes I'm told I'm flat out wrong when I advise someone to try something or explain on a deeper than surface level, what *might* be happening.

The photo above is a prime example.

For years I have tried to explain to weavers that the US standard 8/2 (or 16/2) cotton is NOT the same *quality* as the Canadian standard 2/8 (2/16) cotton yarn.

The above photo is one of each.  Do they *look* the same?  No, they do not.

The thing is, the ONLY thing the numbers tell you is how many yards per pound each yarn will have, regardless of the order those numbers are written.

The numbers will not tell you anything at all about how the fibres have been prepared for, then spun.  The numbers will not tell you anything about the strength of the yarns.  Or, indeed, the thickness, as can be clearly seen in the photo I took, using a strand of 2/16 (on the left) and 16/2 (on the right).

What this means is that if someone is used to using a 2/8 cotton and then gets some 8/2, the experience of weaving with 8/2 as warp will be different than using 2/8 as warp.

(I use the two different number orders, not to specify anything other than that they are two different *qualities* - they both have the same number of yards per pound.)

Does the difference matter?  It can.

The 8/2 is generally spun from shorter fibres than the 2/8.  It has been open end spun, therefore more trapped air in the yarn, therefore thicker, more absorbent, weaker, with a different number of twists per single and ply, than the 2/8 Canadian standard yarn.

They are two very different yarns, having nothing in common, really, than the fact they come with the same number of yards per pound.  

There are many other cases in weaving where when the weaver does something different from their 'usual' they will run into problems.

Scaling up - or down - can mean their 'usual' skill set isn't appropriate.  They wind up with tangles and messes and huge disappointments.

So when I carefully explain *why* something is potentially going wrong, and a chorus of voices claim that *they* never have such problems, I walk away.

Because a closed mind will not absorb new information.  My hope is that, in the future, should they venture out of their comfort zone and start to discover problems, they might remember that if they change one thing, everything CAN change.   I'm not saying it will, just to be open to the possibility.  Be willing to change to meet the new challenge.  Try something different if the 'usual' suddenly isn't working.  Because it may not be 'bad' yarn, but the weaver making a 'poor' choice, given the change.  Or a poor choice of process.

When I say that weaving is a biofeedback activity/skill and people tell me their loom does everything for them, well, I'm glad for them.  Mine doesn't.  I am constantly monitoring what I am doing, adjusting, paying attention.  But that's me.  If someone is getting good results, I'm happy for them.

What I *try* to do is help those people who are NOT getting the results they desire by explaining why that might be happening and offering suggestions for how to adjust what they are doing.

It's up to the reader to decide.

If anyone is really interested in what I know/think - my books are available for sale.  I have You Tube video clips showing what I do.  I have this blog (subjects listed down the side if you are interested in a particular topic).  And I have my online classes.  I am always happy to help people who want to understand.  Who want to learn.

Happy weaving all y'all.

No comments: