Sunday, August 13, 2023

Milestones

 


Sometime overnight the view count on this blog rolled over the 2.5 million mark.

Now I don't actually believe that this count is accurate.  I suspect some data mining going on, given how the numbers of views have spiked recently.  I mean, yes, I have a solid following, but thousands per day?  Probably not.

However, the numbers are there, proof of...something...I guess.

Proof that I have written a LOT of posts?  Proof that some of them have resonated?  Proof that even my very old posts are still getting read?  Proof that I can't shut up?  Well, I doubt there is any argument there!

About a year or so ago, I got an email from someone who had seen my page view numbers and offered to pay me to promote their client's products on my blog.  They called me an 'influencer'.

I literally laughed right out loud.

If I *were* an influencer, all y'all would be sampling before jumping into a big project, *including the wet finishing*.  You'd all be working ergonomically.  You'd all be digging deep into the craft, just because it's so interesting to discover all the ways 'it depends'.

But people get to choose what they do and how they do it.  MY way may not be the BEST way for someone else.

So I try to educate.  I try to do it with clarity, and perhaps, even, a soupçon of humour.  I try to give as accurate a version of what is happening in the loom that I can manage.  I try to encourage and support people who want to know more.  Who come to me with an open mind.  Or at least having thought the process through, ask for clarification for a specific variable.  Because it depends!  And the life so short, the craft so long to learn.

Anyway, happy 2.5M day to me, I guess.

Want to know more?  Get my books at blurb.

PS - if you see me promoting someone else's product?  I have NOT been paid for doing so.  



1 comment:

Sandy Lincoln said...

I spent my morning reading some of your posts over the last month. Thank you Laura for your insight. It's like the old adage: You can lead a horse to weather but you can not make him drink. You can only help someone if they want to help themselves and are willing to take the knowledge you are willing to share and make use of it. Weaving has so much to learn and I feel a sense of urgency at times, that so much to learn and so little time to do it in. In one of your posts you mentioned your hip and being in pain. I know all too well what that is like, Doctor wants me to have 2 new knees. I am not ready yet, as long as I can walk, I guess I am good. But the pain makes me question, my sanity at times. Am I too old to be laying on the floor adjusting my treadles, what if I can't get up? Fix the hip it will only keep you off the loom for a short time, you will feel better and life will not be so stressful. I have more old post to read and a book. Happy Weaving.