Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Inflation...

 ...is a thing


Yup.  Inflation is definitely a 'thing'.

Recently I had to increase the price of The Intentional Weaver to $72.00 Canadian.  I have left the prices for the pdf the same, and have not increased the prices on Magic, either format.

Just as for any other industry, the printing industry is dealing with higher material costs - and that means paper.

Along with paper, every other damn thing has gone up, too.  From ink to envelopes, staples to packing tape.  Everything costs more.

I actually lowered my anticipated 'profit' from Stories just to try and keep the book more affordable, then discovered the shipping charge I'd included for the pre-pub offer was based on last year's price so I'm making even *less* than expected on two fronts from those.   (Still a few left on my ko-fi store - signed - only place you'll get a signed "Stories".  Just saying.)

Is this a whine?  No.  Just a statement of fact.  

I do what I do because I love to do it.  Doesn't mean I don't have bills.  In fact this year and next are looking ultra spendy, so I'm actually glad my needs are few and my wants even fewer after being a 'starving artist' for all my life.

What I'm getting at is that it isn't just me feeling the effects of inflation.  Be aware that other businesses servicing your beloved hobby/passion will also be sharping their pencils and more price increases will be coming.

Yesterday School of Sweet Georgia announced that their membership fees will be increasing by Oct. 1, 2023.

You can still purchase a membership at the current price until Sept. 30, 2023.  If you've been thinking about joining but aren't sure?  You could buy a month membership now, then after a month purchase a year and lock in the current price if you find it helpful.

Still not sure?  How about 4 classes by moi?  (Fourth launches in November.)  Several more weaving classes by Felicia Lo?  Not just a weaver?  How about a fistful of classes by spinners like Diana Twiss and Kim McKenna?  (Kim, like me, is no longer doing in person classes, so her classes on SOS are especially attractive.  IMHO, of course!)

Felting.  Knitting.  Rigid Heddle weaving.  Crochet.  The list goes on.  

The classes are set up as 'chapters' so you can go directly to the section you want to view and repeat watching as many times as you like.  There are supports in the form of projects and the class 'notes' and resources.

Not to mention (but I will, because honestly, why not?) the teachers are available on the SOS forums to answer questions.

All three of my books are available here

There are a *few* signed copies of Stories here   Also Weave a V by Kerstin Fröberg

There are a *few* signed copies of The Intentional Weaver here   Type The Intentional Weaver into the search bar.

All of this is to say - prices go up.  Inflation is a 'thing'.   You've been warned.






No comments: