Thursday, December 11, 2008

Blue/Grey Place Mats



Here is the blue/grey warp with the doubled cotton/linen/rayon weft.

You may notice that the twill line is not the ideal 45 degrees. This is where my adage "If you can't be perfect, be consistent" comes in.

I wanted this fabric to be thick, so the fact that it is slightly weft-faced is actually A Good Thing.

(In truth, the twill line looks flatter in real life than in the photo for some reason - perhaps the angle I took the photo at?)

Since the exercise is to use up stash and hopefully have a textile that will provide insulation from hot plates, I wasn't too bothered by the fact that the set could have been 15 rather than 12 in order to achieve that 45 degree angle. And if the set had been fewer in number, the fabric would be a bit thinner, so......I am just concentrating on having a consistent beat and not worrying about the fact that it isn't "perfect". :D

2 comments:

Peg in South Carolina said...

It's a very useful adage.......(grin!) I have found taking photos of what I am doing has made me much more observant of what is happening when I weave. I notice more details as a result.

Laura Fry said...

Hi Peg, weaving is a constant lesson - in observing, anaylsing the results and changing what one does.

After re-reading my post I realized what I said wasn't very clear - if I had used 15 epi the weft would not have beaten in so closely i.e. fewer picks per inch - and the fabric would have been thinner over all than the somewhat weft faced fabric that is being produced.

Cheers,

Laura