Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Wide(r) Weaving

So I realized that all of the video clips I've got posted to my blog are of narrow weaving. And since the current warp is a bit wider at 26", thought I'd do another video showing my weaving rhythm on this warp.

You can see that I'm a lot slower due to the simple fact that it takes the shuttle longer to traverse the shed than on a narrower warp.

After watching myself weave during the editing of these clips I was reminded of the poem by Robbie Burns - something about having the gift to see ourselves as others see us? I'm sure he never envisioned video cameras that would allow us just that gift.

Funny the things we focus on. I'm a - hmm - substantial - person (wish I were a little less substantial, but so far haven't been able to change that). Anyway, I got mesmerized by the muscles in my forearm. Not a view that I generally get to see, after all!

During a workshop with Norman Kennedy he showed us slides of the Old People living on one of the remote islands off northern Scotland. I remember him commenting on the women and their forearms.

I think I'd fit right in should I ever visit.

currently reading The Dance of Death by Kate Sedley

2 comments:

Benita said...

Okay. I have one question. When I weave, my upper back starts hurting after a while. How do you weave so much without your back killing you? Is it just that you have built your muscles up?

Laura Fry said...

Are you unconsciously hunching your shoulders? Check to make sure that you can sit at your loom and have your arms/elbows clear the breast beam without having to lift your shoulders in order to do so. Many weavers sit far too low. :(

If you are sitting high enough, are you sitting on your tailbone, or up on your hip bones? If you are sitting on your tailbone, try to do a pelvic tilt so that your back is straight, not rounded. I wrote about this for WeaveZine in an early issue.

I weave for 30-60 minutes at a time then take a break. Do shoulder rolls and stretch your pectoral muscles (the muscles in the upper part of your chest). Talk to a physiotherapist or massage therapist for recommended stretches.

And yes, I weave at least a little bit nearly every day to keep my muscles in working order. :)

Cheers,

Laura