Tuesday, August 18, 2009

More Musings

Warp for Katie - 2/8 cotton warp with cotton/linen slub weft woven in broken twill.


My energy levels have been low the past few days and I've given myself permission to take it 'easy'. :}

However, Karena got the tea towel warp for Katie dressed yesterday, so rather than tackle the AVL I decided to get started on my portion of that warp. Katie arrives on August 27 and only has 3 days here so we'll try to get as much done as possible. If her plane arrives on time and she isn't too tired, she can start weaving after dinner. But Tien's flight was delayed so we'll just play it by ear.

There are a number of reasons for my slump in energy. When I look back at the past 18 months, so much has happened - life was a real roller coaster ride, with very little time to rest and recuperate. It's hard to believe that it will be exactly 18 months on the 27th since Don died, and the you-know-what hit the proverbial fan.

I'm not sure if my fatigue is due to the increase in the Niaspan, in which case that should soon pass, or if it is just the accumulation of stress. Add to that a very busy teaching schedule from January onwards, dealing with a construction zone and company at the same time, plus another death in the family - again someone who should have had many more years - and perhaps it's not too surprising that I'm not feeling terribly energetic.

So I worked a bookmark on my lace pillow, then made a couple of small jig-saw puzzles over the weekend. Last night I cleared the dining room table off so that I could get back to fringe twisting. I've got a bucket full of shawls that need to be dealt with.

Then, of course, there's the mountain of wet finishing that needs to be done, the dyeing of the silk, and on it goes. September will be pretty much a write off in terms of production as the show season starts and I've got two road trips in September, one in October, followed closely by 3 craft fairs.

So taking a little breather now seemed like A Very Good Thing.

Currently reading Various Positions; a life of Leonard Cohen by Ira. B. Nadel

2 comments:

barbara said...

Hi Laura,
Rest when you feel you need to rest; our body knows best what we need. For a long time, I was the one who made the decisions of whether I would rest or work harder. Most times I would decide that I was just being lazy and would work harder. Now, I listen to what my body tries to tell me. I also know with added stresses that come our way; that I need to be very careful about listening to what my body tells me.

You are getting good at that. Do or did you ever try meditation, or do a relaxing 20 minutes of just laying in a comfortable yoga position, with very quiet music on and just be in the moment. Much what one does after a yoga routine. I find doing that once a day when I am stressed is very helpful. We can all spare 20 minutes for ourselves.

Take care. Stinking hot and humid here on P.E.I. The poor kids in the Canada Games ..... hopefully they have trained well!!!! Poor kids in the Athlete's village with no air conditioning and 6 to a room!!! Should have a break in the temperature after tomorrow. Just to get rid of the humidity would be nice!!!!

Weaverly yours ........ Barbara

Laura Fry said...

Hi Barbara,

I did lay down with either a self-hypnosis cd or meditation type music all last summer but since my 'problem' was due to an adverse drug reaction, wasn't finding it very helpful.

Guess I should try that again now that my drug woes appear to be behind me. :)

OTOH, I start travelling again in September. Getting to lie down in the afternoon won't be a possibility...

And I do understand about choosing between resting and working harder! Story of my life. :D

Kind of awesome how much I was accomplishing when there was such a thin thread holding me in this reality. Amazing how the human spirit strives to create and what it will go through to continue doing that.....

Hope I can connect with E in September. :)

Cheers,
Laura