If I taught a workshop/seminars at ANWG '19 would you be interested?

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Contingency Plan


Wound this warp at the guild room this morning using the warping mill.  Since it is in yards, not meters, I added a little extra - and then added a little more - forgetting that I was very tight on yarn.  Which means that I will run out of the yarn for weft.

The sample was supposed to be a four thread colour and weave 'check' but with insufficient yarn of one of the colours, that wasn't going to produce the number of samples required - even with reducing the number of copies to 135.

Hoping that I had another spool of the green at home I mulled over what I could do if I didn't.  I could make 4" samples instead of 5" - but there was no guarantee there would be enough yarn even to do that many.  What to do?  I didn't like the thought of potentially wasting about 4 yards of warp either, so I thought I could just weave the rest of the warp off with the purple/pink.

All of a sudden I realized what I could do - weave half the sample with just the pink/purple and half in checks.  Which actually makes a lot of sense in terms of a 'lesson' - show people that they can put on a longer warp and make co-ordinating fabrics.  Still not sure if I have enough to do 5" samples, though, so I am going to have to sit down with a calculator and do some number crunching.

But at least I feel I have a workable plan.  As mentioned in a previous post, sometimes Plan B or C is actually better than Plan A.  :D

And yes, I could have ordered more yarn in but at that point might run into problems with dye lot differences because the green yarn has been in my stash for a couple of years.

No comments: