Monday, September 3, 2012

Necessity


taping the before samples, trimming the excess bits off the sides in preparation to cutting them apart

And here we go again.  While taping/cutting these samples this morning I started thinking about how there are a long list of things about my job that aren't my fav things to be doing.  Taping/cutting samples is one of them.  But, like standing at the steam press for several hours, I do it because it is necessary.

What makes these less than enjoyable jobs bearable is that I have decided that they are necessary.  It is my choice to do these things because I feel that my product would be less than it could be if I didn't.

There is a certain amount of ego involved in this.  I would feel embarrassed if I did not make the effort to properly (in my view) wet finish my cloth.  I want to 'make it right'.  (If you are a fan of Mike Holmes, you'll recognize the phrase.)

When I was planning Magic in the Water I decided that the publication just had to have the before and after samples so that people could see and feel the difference that wet finishing made to the woven web.  Taping the 'before' sample was necessary to keep these fragile swatches in reasonable condition for examination.  With these subsequent publications, I feel I must continue in that tradition to further educate people in the value and necessity to wet finish.

However, with Doug 'retiring' at the end of this month, you can bet that taping/cutting samples - not to mention stapling them to the card stock - may very well get put on the 'honey do' list!

As far as I'm concerned I will not be 'retiring' any time soon.  As I've mentioned previously, when you are doing what you love to do, why would you 'retire'?  :)  Since we are dependent upon the income from the studio even with Doug working, he has agreed to take on more studio work.  Might as well take advantage of Mr. Perfectionist and get him to help with the bits that aren't my favourite activity.  Not to mention that he can't weave, nor do either of us want him to!  Designing and creating the cloth is my job.  Doing the finishing and selling it will become more of his.

Currently reading Death Qualified by Kate Wilhelm

3 comments:

DebbieB said...

I think it's awesome that Doug will take over more of the non-weaving aspects of the "family business", allowing you to be creative without so much of the drudgery!

Teena Tuenge said...

I'm jealous that you seem to be getting a live-in assistant. Dana would rather do as little as absolutely has to. Though I don't ask too much of him, as far as the weaving "business" is concerned except to let me do it. He does help with booth set up. But he does not see any need for me to earn any money so if we were dependent on my weaving income, he probably would do more.
Teena Tuenge

Laura Fry said...

Necessity is a powerful motivator! :)

Doug enjoys the loom/equipment maintenance and has always taken care of those plus the many modifications I wanted done to my loom(s). He's also the family extrovert so enjoys sales, while I'm the introvert and don't. :)

cheers,
Laura