Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Success




During Fibres West I managed to spin a couple of bobbins - the purple (River's Edge Blueberry/Grape Juice) was spun off the fold. The green (Ashland Bay's Mackenzie merino/silk) was core spun.

Both were plied with mylar. The Mackenzie was plied with a mylar gimp; Juice was plied with a smooth supported mylar.

Wet finished them this afternoon and will bring them to guild drop-in tonight.

Both yarns gave off a slight blush of colour - one more argument for wet finishing skeins before knitting or weaving with them. And of course they both bloomed during the wet finishing, changing their feel and character.

I was a bit leery using the gimp because it's a little scratchy, but by using it on the core spun yarn the gimp is essentially buried in the yarn and you can't feel it at all.

Both yarns are intended for knitting or weft in weaving. I would not use either of these for warp due to the abrasion of the reed. They might just possibly be okay on a rigid heddle loom but I'd have to try that before I could confidently recommend that usage.

Tomorrow morning I have the bone marrow biopsy done. Both looms are naked although I'm half way through threading a test warp on the AVL. I don't know if I'll feel up to weaving afterwards but I'm hoping I can sit and spin. Results should be available in about 48 hours so I'm hoping for a phone call Friday afternoon. It's getting hard to wait for answers. :}

Today was a sunny day and I soaked up the sunshine as I plied the two bobbins this morning. I think in my next life I'll come back as a cat. ;^)

currently reading House Rules by Jodie Picoult

6 comments:

Judith said...

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and sending positive energy. Wish I lived closer to you I would help
you warp. Small payment for
all I have learned from reading
your blogs watching your videos.
Try to rest!
Judith

Sandra Rude said...

I'll be thinking of you, too, and will send all the most positive wishes your way that I can.

Anonymous said...

Best of luck for tomorrow. The looms can wait..... Hugs
Shirley Xxx

Laura Fry said...

If I stay busy I don't think about the not knowing so much. :)

Thanks for all your good wishes. Right now I just want answers. Then we'll know how to proceed.

Cheers,
Laura

Peg Cherre said...

All my best wishes to you, Laura. Keep smiling, reading, resting.

Rhonda from Baddeck said...

At this very moment you're probably preparing for your procedure -- I hope it's quick, they get what they need and the results give you a starting point for your treatment. Sending positive thoughts your way -- best of luck!