Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Little by Little



The other day I mentioned to Doug that trying to run a business while also shutting that business down is stressful.

I need to keep producing inventory for the last three shows I will do as a professional weaver while also making decisions of what to keep and what to sell - or throw away.

At this point I'm ready to say 'load it up and take it ALL to the tip' - or words to that effect.  He has been reining me in, partly because I spent money buying the equipment I have accumulated, partly because there is really nothing 'wrong' with it and if someone can use it, there is still life in it.

This morning he found a buyer for the Whitin winder.  It will be picked up in a couple of weeks once the new owner makes arrangements to come and get it.

There have been requests for some other things and slowly they are being sent to their new homes.

It is hard to remain tranquil with so much chaos in my work and living space.  The living room has piles of boxes and bins of things people have asked about but not committed to purchasing.  Yet.  The studio has heaps of things, ditto, that I trip around.  Sometimes literally.

There are bins and piles of specialty yarns for which I need to send a quote to someone.  The AVL shuttles may be spoken for but I still haven't dug out all the pirns.

And of course there is the day-to-day administration - bills to be paid, orders to be shipped, weaving to be done.

I'm out of padded envelopes so on my town run today I'll go to Staples and buy another package because I have a book to mail and two towels as well.

In the past I could juggle 19 different things simultaneously but no longer.  I have to focus on one thing at a time and get that to the point of completion because I just can't keep everything sorted out.  I start confusing who wants what, when.

Chemo brain is a thing and I really notice it in terms of 'forgetting' words, but also in tracking complex jobs.  Add stress to the mix and I really feel like I'm constantly dropping balls all over the place!

But the studio is slowly being cleared in preparation for the arrival of the Megado.  And six months isn't that far away. 

I think this retirement thing is going to be grand...

No comments: