Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Ground Hog Day



This isn't the first time I have had to isolate myself, but it is going to go on longer, plus there is no visiting with friends in real life.  When I broke my ankle and could not go out, friends could come to visit me.  Ditto the by-pass surgery and chemo.

The last time I left the house to go on an errand was March 23.  (Last week I went for a walk twice, just around the neighbourhood.)  That is just over four weeks, now, and the days have reached a level of sameness that is akin to the movie Ground Hog Day. 

I keep track of which day it is because I have a pill dispenser with the days written on it.  When I take my morning handful of pills, I am reminded of the day of the week.  My Fitbit reminds me of the date.

My life has settled into a routine.  Get up, take my pills with a glass of juice, read through Twitter, Facebook, have my 'breakfast' of coffee and some Wasa rye crackers.  Get dressed and write a blog post (usually vice versa). 

I have begun playing Scrabble on line and when I wake up there are usually several games to take my turn ready, and I check in through the day to play my turns.

Right now I have marking to do so I try to spend some time working on that but my main daily goal is to weave two tea towels.  I judge my progress by how thick the roll becomes on the cloth beam.

I have also taken to keeping a post-it note on the castle and make a mark for each towel that is woven so that I can keep track and only wind as many bobbins as needed for the warp.  While I have lots of bobbins, I don't want to fill them with yarn that isn't going to be used soon.

As is my habit I check on my email frequently during the day, although over the past few years I have noticed that people use email less frequently.  Now my inbox is mostly 'junque' mail, but once in a while someone contacts me with a question - like last night.  The question forced me to think a bit about how to answer and I love that I get pushed to figure out what to say.

I find myself still not reading as much as I used to do.  In the evening I work on hemming and the jigsaw puzzle that sits on the dining room table.

At the end of the day I have two friends I communicate with as a wrap up to the day.  A nice reflection of what is happening - even if it is pretty much a repeat of the days before.  A reminder that it is not actually Ground Hog Day, but a day that had things happen, progress occurred.

As I hit the halfway mark on the current warp yesterday, it is time to begin working on the threading draft for the next warp.  And carry on with the marking.

I may be in a rut but right now?  It's a comfortable one.  I will stay safely at home until :waves hands: this is over.


No comments: