Saturday, April 11, 2020

Pushing Boundaries




close up of two different yarns, taken by me



The world of archaeology was all agog at the news that the making of cordage was much older than previously thought.

cordage, possibly made by Neanderthals

Recent finds have pushed back the date of humans further and further.  With the news of this find, that date is now in the region of 57,000 or so years.

The field of archaeology, long dominated by white males, has considered Neanderthal people to be less intelligent than homo sapiens.  A lot of people have been working to recognize the intelligence and skill of our ancient forebears.

I read Chariots of the Gods when it was first published.  I did, honestly.  I read (and still do for the most part) everything.  So I read Eric von Daniken's book.  And pretty much dismissed it. 

There is pretty much zero evidence that aliens have ever come near our planet.  So far there is zero evidence that there is even a space faring other planetary civilization. 

Over and over again, archaeologists and anthropologists have connected the dots of humans, interacting and sharing knowledge with others.

I read Clan of the Cave Bear and several sequels until I got tired of that one woman inventing everything.  Our ancient ancestors were not white and it wasn't just one person who had the smarts to invent what was needed to survive.

We participated in the National Geographic human genome project.  The scientist running the project traveled the world round, collecting DNA from as many different population groups as he could.  Then the project was thrown open and people were invited to participate by providing their DNA to add to the project.  (Last I checked there were over 600,000 people who had participated.)  As it happens, my results were/are a mix of homo sapien, Neanderthal and Denosovian. 

I had never heard of Denosovian ancestry before and I was intrigued.  It would appear that my ancient lineage began in what we now call Africa, moved out of that continent, a branch went east, then changed direction and migrated west, into what we now call Europe.  In more recent history, my mother's forebears left France, sailing to the now Gaspe area and then further into Quebec.  My father's came more recently from somewhere in Europe to North America.  They met here, married and voila, here I am.

But as for using fibre?  I do accept that humans were working with fibre for a very long time.  The science will continue to evolve on the dates because fibre degrades back into the soil and actual finds are extremely rate.

Never underestimate someone from a different culture.  Just because you don't understand their culture or the technologies they use doesn't make them 'less' anything.  White folk have done this over and over again to their peril. 


No comments: