Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A Centenary - of sorts


one of these days I need to make a new apron...2/8 cotton warp, 22/2 cottolin weft for hand towels



Today this blog passed a milestone of sorts. There are now officially 100 'followers' - although I know there are people who read the blog regularly without signing up as a follower.


So, thank you.


When I started this blog in August 2008 I had just come through a very trying time and thought that I was now on the road to recovery. Starting the blog was a way of celebrating and looking forward to the future. Little did I know how many pot holes there would be on that road, but then - none of us truly knows what the future will bring......< /div>


When I decided to become a weaver, it was a career choice. I did not fully understand or appreciate that it would in time become a passion, an obsession....an addiction, in fact. That weaving would become my identity, my life.


One of the things I hoped to do in this blog was share some of that passion with other like-minded people. To share my triumphs (all too few) and my mistakes (all too many). If we learn by making mistakes I must be an encyclopedia by now! :D


It is heartening when people email or message me that they are learning by reading the blog. It was one of the things that I hoped would happen - that I could share some of my knowledge, my areas of finesse, with others so that they could avoid some of the pitfalls that lie in the road of knowledge.


I called my blog Weaving a Life because weaving has truly been my life. It's been 35 years now and while I may regret some of the things I've done during my weaving career I've not regretted becoming a weaver.


This morning while sleying the next warp on the AVL I was listening to an ABBA cd. One of their songs in particular resonates with me and so I'd like to paraphrase the chorus....


So I say...

Thank you for the weaving, the cloth I'm making.
Thanks for all the joy it's bringing.
Who can live without it?
I ask in all honesty,
What would I be?
Without a loom to weave on,
What would I be?
So I say,
Thank you for the weaving,
For giving it to me.


And thank you for coming along on this journey with me

5 comments:

Woven Spun said...

I appreciate you passing along your experience to other weaver's Laura. I would love to sit side by side with you sometime and glean all that I can from. Since that is not feasible anytime soon, learning through your blog is the next best thing to being there. Thank you.
Kimberly

Benita said...

Thank you for writing your blog. Yours is one of the ones I check first thing each morning. I may not leave comments very often, but I need to let you know you are an inspiration to those of us who would love to follow in your footsteps as a weaver.

DebbieB said...

I read your blog every day, Laura, though I'm not always moved to comment. I'm very grateful for your willingness to share what you've learned and discovered.

Annie said...

Congratulations on your milestone. I enjoy reading your blog, especially because you share your successes as well as the things you're not so pleased with.

Longarm Quilting by PattyAnne said...

I, too, enjoy your blog. Thanks for all the helpful hints and insights!