Friday, July 25, 2014

Lynn's Legacy


next in the queue - the lighter coloured cones on the right 


30 yard warp cut off the loom and mounted onto the work table to be cut apart and serged

This evening I finished weaving the cream warp, cut it off the loom and readied it for the next step in the process - cutting the towels apart and serging the ends.  I ran out of weft right about the time I ran out of warp - there was a half bobbin of tow linen left and a yard of warp - too little to weave another towel.

Yesterday and today I have been working on the next warp.  The tubes are pulled and set onto the spool rack, threading worked out, two options for treadling ready.

The yarn on the right used to be fairly easy to buy - I think the company (Linos La Union) has gone out of business as it's been many years since I've seen this particular yarn available.  I don't know the size nor the yards per pound.  All I know is that it is a lovely yarn and weaves up beautifully.  Lynn had already given me several cones of this yarn before she died.  Imagine my surprise when we found three more cones.  And they are hefty cones.  The two larger ones weigh in at 3 pounds 13 ounces each, the smaller one is 2 pounds 4 ounces.  It appears to be about half the thickness of the singles 12 tow linen (yes I found more cones - much darker brown than the 11 pounds I just finished!) so I'm thinking it must be around 6000 to 7200 yards per pound.  With nearly 10 pounds of this fine singles, I am going to be weaving tea towels for a very long time.

In fact, I'm starting to run out of the 2/16 cotton and will be forced to buy more next month.  In the meantime I have enough to wind this warp and a few more but I'd also like to have a broader range of colours for people to choose from than what I have available here and now.

Need to start dreaming some new fibre dreams.  Brassard will soon be open for business again after their summer vacation.

2 comments:

the Mighty M said...

So you have some big cones to use up? Given that I am finding it kind of tough to find exactly what I want with yarn I have sort of decided to get creative and weave with what I have. Sort of a mental challenge to see what you can do with what you have. Fun!

Laura Fry said...

Yes, lots of play time coming up! ;)
Cheers
Laura