Sunday, December 22, 2019

Ch-ch-ch-changes (studio update)



Change one thing and everything can change.

Earlier this year I decommissioned the AVL Production Dobby Loom I had woven on since 1982.

For nearly 40 years it was my tool of choice for most things.  I was trying to earn an income from selling my woven goods and it was a production loom that I could weave on quickly/efficiently and produce a lot of cloth.

But it was large (60" weaving width) and had a large footprint taking up what would be a reasonably sized bedroom, if I had put it in a bedroom.  Instead it was installed into my weaving studio in the basement where it took pride of place from the time it was installed until the time it was dismantled.

As a piece of equipment meant to produce, it had certain features that allowed me to do what I needed to do.  Doug built options for me and as it was upgraded, first to a computer assisted dobby, then air assist for the fly shuttle and treadle, Doug further customized it.  He maintained and repaired it as I wore things out or found that a tweak here or there would be beneficial.

I got comfortable with the loom and wove pretty much any and everything on it.

But things wear out, like my body, and the loom.  It was time to make another choice.

When the air assist was added to the AVL it no longer was capable of weaving to my preferred rhythm.  Instead of my usual pace, I had to reduce my speed by about one half.  It was teeth knashingly frustrating but necessary that I accommodate the equipment and eventually I adapted and accepted my new weaving rate.

The Megado is also demanding changes in my routine.  It is a different tool with different needs.  I must again adapt my processes and pace to the requirement of the loom.  Once again my pace has to be slowed down, which was again frustrating, but a reminder that I am no longer producing to sell at craft sales and there is no need for me to go faster.

I am half way through the tea towel warp I put on the loom a few weeks ago.  It is weaving off nicely.  I have mostly ironed out the beaming and any minor tension issues are not going to make a huge difference to the cloth.  As I beamed the warp I worked hard to make sure the sections went on as evenly as possible and I think I'm going to be happy enough with the finished cloth that I can count this warp a success, even though it is not 'perfect'.

The dobby is slower to react than the AVL dobby, so I have to make sure I stop and let the 'fingers' settle before opening the next shed, but I'm now comfortable with the slower pace and in the end my speed has not been very slowed down.  Instead of about 30 minutes to weave a towel, it's taking me about 45 minutes.  A not unacceptable time change.

I bought the Megado because I could no longer physically work on the AVL.  The Megado is much easier physically, and even though I'm still having issues with my neck and shoulders, the new loom is much gentler on my body.  It also takes up less space in my studio which has allowed Doug to install a bunch more shelves for storage.

We are still unpacking boxes and moving bins.  Yesterday we discussed where things might be moved to, and we will continue to adjust for a while.  As my stash gets woven up, I'm sure the shifting and shuffling will continue.

My goal is to reduce clutter and eliminate goat trails.  I'm tired of those and want a more peaceful organized space to continue to weave in.

Doug is still looking to sell AVL loom bits although things seem to have gone quiet for the holiday.  He will go pressing today on the industrial steam press and may go once more to do the current tea towels once they come off the loom - hopefully in the next little while.  I am working on a couple of special orders for place mats on the Leclerc Fanny as well as trying to weave on the Megado.  But place mats mean beating 'hard' and I don't know how much longer my body can weave that 'hard'.  I'm hoping the current pain treatment will help with the physical wear and tear I've done to my body, but it may mean I stop weaving textiles that require such a hard beat.

Ch-ch-ch-changes...


No comments: