Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Scramble




It's been a bit of a slow motion scramble, but about all I can manage right now.

Trying to shut a business down as you continue to run said business is a...challenge...

Everything takes longer than expected.  Everything becomes more complicated than anticipated.

Then something happens and you snow globe all your plans again because something else has cropped up that needs to be done on a priority basis.

But I did finally - just now - finish the fringe twisting.  Doug and I had discussed the week and what needed to be done on Monday, then Tuesday those plans fell apart so we adjusted and he said he could go pressing on Thursday.  Not his first choice, but.

Moving pressing to Thursday meant a bunch of things had to be moved around and things I had wanted to do had to be shelved, but it also gave me an extra day to get the fringe twisting done in a way that would reduce the stress on my body, letting my back and hands rest more.

Tomorrow part of the priority is to do a video conference with someone interested in possibly purchasing the press so in the end scheduling pressing for Thursday actually worked out well.  She will be able to see how to start the press up and how it works.

I have managed to post some of the tea towels I have for sale but I also need to take photos of loom parts.  Once I've got those posted to my blog, I will put a notice on WeaveTech - both the group and the FB page, just in case someone can use them.

When I decommissioned the AVL, some people spoke up right away requesting parts.  Some of those have been re-homed, but I still have replacement gears and other things that could serve elsewhere.  Shipping is always a challenge with large items, but gears are only heavy, not big.  Those could easily be mailed.

Doug has pulled the gears plus I need to rummage to see what else might be of interest to other weavers.  I did have a box of industrial shuttles - part of a weaver's estate that I couldn't use in the AVL, but didn't know what else to do with them.  Someone asked about the Honex tensioners - a couple of them have something similar - or perhaps the shuttle as is would work for someone.  But where DID that box of shuttles go????  (my studio has been snow globed - a term I coined for the kind of disarray of completely and totally tossing everything into the air, not sure where things have landed.)

We have decided that the cables probably aren't worth anything but scrap.  Over the years we replaced or repaired them, but they are most likely stretched or at least aged enough that they probably aren't usable.  Doug will go through the air assist parts box and decide if he can sell those bits locally.  But there are foot air switches (need oil, not oil-less), and various other things that could be used elsewhere.  Not just for a loom, though, so might be easier to try and sell locally.  (They are not the same equipment as supplied by AVL.  We upgraded about 13 months after installing the original AVL air system - larger air hoses, different foot switches, adding an oiler.)

Hopefully we will be back on track next week and there will be another set of shelves installed.  Then more boxes of yarn can come over while several boxes will get delivered to one (or more) of the thrift shops.  Once that has been done we will have to do a serious examination of what is left, what we need to keep, what needs to be tossed.

My original deadline of 'out of the annex by Dec. 31' has also been snow globed.  The new deadline, written in stone, not to be moved, is Jan. 31.  By then the business will be officially shut down and I do not want to be paying rent on a space that isn't actually useful anymore.  2004(?) until 2019.  It was a good run.  But it's over.

No comments: