Monday, November 9, 2020

Little by Little

 





This puzzle is a challenge.  The colours swirl and blend, sometimes quite unpredictably.  There are no lines to follow, just blobs.  It is taking far longer than expected - or hoped - to get put together.  But each time I sit down to work on it I seem to find a few pieces that fit.  Or appear to fit.  Sometimes it's really hard to tell.  And sometimes I've had to remove a piece because it doesn't seem to fit after all and try another.

This morning I thought about how 'broken' our society seems to be right now.  I thought about the enormity of trying to fix what is broken - or doesn't 'fit'.  How overwhelmed I felt.  How powerless.

But then I found a cause I knew I could help with, and so I did.  And it felt just like fitting another piece into the puzzle.

No, my little bit of help wasn't going to fix the bigger problem.  But it made the problem less big.  And even a tiny bit of progress, is still progress.

I remembered that it isn't up to me to fix the world.  Only to try and help fix what is wrong in my world.

We are all connected.  We just maybe haven't figured out where in the puzzle we fit.  Yet.  That doesn't mean we stop trying.  It only means we need to look harder.  Work longer.  Try, try, try again.

In the meantime, I work on myself.  Peeling back the layers of my white privilege.  Paying attention to the words I use.  My attitude towards others, yes, even the ones I disagree with.  

I watch what is happening in the world and try to support those working for equality for all, not just a few.  I pay attention to what the politicians say - and do.  

I am not perfect.  But I try to see where I need to improve, and then to work towards that improvement.

My goal is to work from a foundation of love and acceptance, not fear and division.

Build a bigger table, not walls.

Love and light to you all.

No comments: