If I taught a workshop/seminars at ANWG '19 would you be interested?

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Minimum/Maximum


showing the 'right' side of the cloth


showing the 'wrong' side of the cloth

The colours in these photos are not 'true' - the first one was taken at the back/bottom of the loom as the cloth rolls up on the storage roller.  It is dark down there so the colours appear darker and bluer.

The photo showing the 'wrong' side of the cloth are up at the business end of the loom and appear washed out from the flash and more yellow.

But the photos do show the difference in how the cloth looks, one side to the other - more warp showing on one face, more weft showing on the other.

This is because the weave structure is 1:3/3:1 twill blocks with only one block showing warp while the other 3 blocks show weft as it is being woven.  I got into the habit of doing this when treadling was done by leg power - the fewer shafts to raise, the easier it was to weave.

So, whenever I can, I design my treadlings to raise the fewest number of shafts even when it means I'm weaving the cloth 'up side down'. 

I find I get better sheds, and if it's easier for my leg, it's probably easier for the loom, too.  It's the old "minimum input, maximum output' adage.

Currently reading The Man who loved China by Simon Winchester - I've read a number of Winchester's books (thanks for the recommendation Kerstin) and generally enjoy whatever he's tackled.


No comments: