Thursday, December 17, 2009

Temple In Use

Thought I'd talk a bit about using the temple.

Mentioned in my previous post that it is essential to use the temple on this warp. The reason is that the take up in the loom is such - especially on wider warps - that a soft spot will develop a few inches in from the selvedge. This soft spot will develop soggy ends that wind up in floats/skips. Not so noticable in something other than plain weave, but very obvious when weaving plain weave, which I am doing here. Also more noticable in yarns with poor recovery from stretch.

And so - the temple is in use.

It can also be important to use a temple if using a very delicate yarn. Any take up at all will cause selvedge ends to break if a temple isn't used.

And lastly, if you want a dense fabric, a temple is also necessary in order to keep the ends spaced far enough to beat the weft picks in to the higher density.

The temple should be sized so that the teeth hold the outside 3-4 ends to their path through the reed. You don't want to size the temple wider than the width in the reed.

I've set the temple so that it hinges with the release bracket at my left hand. I slide the bracket off so that the temple will fold, pick up the right hand side and dig it into the selvedge, then set the left hand side, sliding the bracket back.

While it only takes a moment, it does take that moment. And that's why I'm going to be looking very seriously at the Fireside roller temples and hoping that Doug will be able to fit them to the loom.

4 comments:

michellewrong said...

I have never used a temple before, so this was great to see. I just love watching other people weave, its always a good learning experience.

I also wanted to comment and say I have read through your entire blog over the course of the past few days, making notes that will hopefully help me in the future.

Laura Fry said...

Hi Michelle,

Glad you enjoy the blog. :)

Cheers,
Laura

Sharon said...

I am always excited when I open Bloglines and see that you have posted because I know I'm going to learn something. I've been wondering about temples for quite a while, like how they work and if one works for multiple sizes warps. Thanks!

Laura Fry said...

Ordinary 'stick' temples come in a range of sizes. The one I have goes from 36" to 60" I think.

cheers,
Laura