Saturday, September 8, 2012

Contingency Plan


Wound this warp at the guild room this morning using the warping mill.  Since it is in yards, not meters, I added a little extra - and then added a little more - forgetting that I was very tight on yarn.  Which means that I will run out of the yarn for weft.

The sample was supposed to be a four thread colour and weave 'check' but with insufficient yarn of one of the colours, that wasn't going to produce the number of samples required - even with reducing the number of copies to 135.

Hoping that I had another spool of the green at home I mulled over what I could do if I didn't.  I could make 4" samples instead of 5" - but there was no guarantee there would be enough yarn even to do that many.  What to do?  I didn't like the thought of potentially wasting about 4 yards of warp either, so I thought I could just weave the rest of the warp off with the purple/pink.

All of a sudden I realized what I could do - weave half the sample with just the pink/purple and half in checks.  Which actually makes a lot of sense in terms of a 'lesson' - show people that they can put on a longer warp and make co-ordinating fabrics.  Still not sure if I have enough to do 5" samples, though, so I am going to have to sit down with a calculator and do some number crunching.

But at least I feel I have a workable plan.  As mentioned in a previous post, sometimes Plan B or C is actually better than Plan A.  :D

And yes, I could have ordered more yarn in but at that point might run into problems with dye lot differences because the green yarn has been in my stash for a couple of years.

No comments: