Sunday, December 23, 2012

Block Weaves



One of the things I've had on my to-be-done one-of-these-days list is to revamp the workshop handouts for Mug Rugs and More.  I have been teaching this topic for a very long time and the handouts were very, um, crude, compared to what is available now in the way of weaving and word processing software.

The impetus to actually do this has come because Chattanooga chose this topic for their workshop.  I also wanted to provide an 8 shaft variation, so I spent some time today re-doing this and other of the drawdowns.  The 8 shaft draft will be used in the Focus on Block Weaves workshop at Memphis.

It was a good exercise because I really had to dig through the old grey cells and think about double weave, which I haven't done for a very long time. You know what they say - use it or lose it!  I knew the effect I wanted, but I had to twist my brain into a pretzel to get it.  A good reminder that some concepts are easier than others and to get myself back into 'beginner mind' mode.

Currently reading Quietly in their Sleep by Donna Leon

No comments: