Thursday, May 9, 2013

Success

One of the themes that comes up at times when weavers (or any creative folk, no doubt) is that of 'succeeding' in our chosen field.  

I don't call myself successful at anything except not giving up.

If you take society's definition of success (I. E. making pots of money) I am such a failure.  In fact for many years my definition of success was to make enough money that I would have to pay income tax.  :-/

But.  But.

IF you define success as having a life I chose, with all it's ups and downs, all the challenges inherent in running a home based business where the only over worked underpaid person was myself?   Yes I have done that.

IF you define success as choosing my goals and following the path to completion as best as my talent and determination could take me?   I have done that.

IF you define success as keeping body and soul together with a supportive partner?  I have been blessed to follow that path.

IF you define success as not letting societal expectations if wealth push me into places I did not want to go?  I have (just barely) managed that.

There have been plenty of failures along the way.  But in the long run (and by that I mean since 1975 when I chose weaving as my life/career) the thing I have done best was, quite simply, not giving up my dream, of trying something else, taking a different path or approach when things weren't working out.

Success?  Failure?  I'm just doing the best I can.  Ultimately that is all anyone can do....

5 comments:

Tien Chiu said...

Success. Definitely. :-)

Rhonda from Baddeck said...

And passing it on, and making the world a better place. You've done that. You ARE a success - and my role model.

Anonymous said...

Laura, you are a wonderful and successful artist. We are lucky to have you in our midst. Thank you for sharing your talents with us.

terri said...

If only the rest of us could be as successful as you are! :)

Peg Cherre said...

I concur completely with everyone else's comments. You ARE a success, and such a generous person. Thanks!