Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Hump Day

We are now officially half way through the week.   There have been some ah-ha moments, which is what we are aiming for.  

When I am teaching, my goal for my students is that they go home knowing more than they did when they arrived.   Whatever that means for them.

Olds College - and many dedicated volunteers - is/are working very hard to make a program that gives a consistent and well rounded body of knowledge to the students.  The certificate program consists of four levels and covers the basic weave structures plus additional information that I feel is necessary for an understanding of how to create good cloth I.e. Cloth suitable for its purpose.

Weaving can be approached in many different ways.  The practitioner can follow published patterns, or design their own.  How one chooses to follow the craft is a purely personal decision.  For me, designing my own is a big part of how I feed my creative urge.  But not everyone feels that impulse.  They may not have the time, or they may not feel confident about being able to do it on their own.

In the end, weaving is weaving.  By teaching I hope to bring a greater understanding of the craft to the student.  I don't pretend to know it all, but I usually know what references to go to in order to find out what I need to know.

The craft, the technology, of weaving is so vast that after nearly 40 years of weaving I still learn more stuff.  That aspect - of being a perpetual student - is part of the attraction.  Learning is fun.  Learning is challenging.  Sharing the knowledge is the cream on the top. 

1 comment:

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

"Sharing the knowledge is the cream on the top. " Isn't that so true ?~! You have hit it right on the head with that phrase.