Thursday, July 17, 2014

Lost Cross

In an ideal or perfect world, none of us would get distracted or sloppy.  But that isn't how life is.  We get tired, stressed, distracted and sloppy, sometimes all at once.  And so I lost the cross in this warp due to one or all of the above - mostly because I got sloppy with how I secured the lease sticks.

However, losing the cross isn't the end of the world or even the warp.  Since I use the reed to spread the warp, the threads stayed in their order in groups of four so it was an easy matter - like about 2 minutes - to pick the cross up again so that I could transfer it to the back of the heddles for threading.

While having a four by four cross isn't my usual manner of working, it's perfectly do-able.  With this yarn, a four by four cross isn't going to affect anything very much at all...


warp beamed but lacking cross - weight is out of sight but holding tension on the warp to make the threads behave


first lease stick inserted half way through the warp


first lease stick the entire width of the warp


second lease stick with four by four cross


Mistakes happen.  Don't cry over spilt milk.  Fix it.  Get on with it.  Focus on solutions, not assigning blame.  In the end it doesn't matter why it happened, but getting it fixed so you can move on to the next step.  And hopefully remember the next time you are distracted to set the world aside and focus on what you are doing.  Now if I can only remember that my own self...

3 comments:

Sandra Rude said...

Join the club. I did the same thing on one section of my current warp. Just plain forgot to tie the cross. Said "Oh, @#$%*&^$" and proceeded to thread the section. If the warp threads are out of order there's no sign of it in the woven cloth!

Anonymous said...

My spouse and I absolutely love your blog and find many of your
post's to be exactly I'm looking for. Would you offer guest writers to write content
for you? I wouldn't mind composing a post or
elaborating on a lot of the subjects you write
about here. Again, awesome web site - -!

Laura Fry said...

I sometimes have guest writers post on my blog - email me laura at laurafry dot com

cheers,
Laura