Sunday, August 10, 2014

Pot Holes

No one's life runs smoothly all the time.   Certainly not mine.  But this summer has seen more pot holes in my road than I have had to deal with for a while.   Although I try to stay up beat and positive, chronic pain certainly does wear one down.  Even though I am pretty open about stuff, even I have my limits about how much whining I will do.  Let's just say it's been more of a challenge than I had the energy and optimism to deal with and the past few days I threw myself a bit of a pity party.  

One of the things that was getting to me is the cancellation of all travel, especially across the border.  The trip to Tacoma for Complex Weavers was only a little bit about teaching and a whole lot about meeting up with distant friends.  I had been looking forward to the classes I had signed up for, the exhibits and a good old chin wag, face to face rather than via email.  Email is dandy, but...

After Complex Weavers I had made arrangements to visit with two more weaving friends, so that got cancelled along with the rest.  And I was dreadfully disappointed about the whole trip not happening.  

And then last night I got an email from another weaving friend who was passing through town today.  She had time for a short visit.  So we made arrangements to meet at a coffee place and had a brief but very welcome time to catch up with each other. 

Recovery from an injury never proceeds in a straight line and today was worse than yesterday.  However I'm hoping that an infusion of chemicals and only one session at the loom today will mean that tomorrow will be better.  

What can I say?  I am an optimist.  It feels better, according to the Dalai Lama. 

2 comments:

Margreet said...

So sorry to read about your down time. I really hope things will improve sooner than later. You are such an example to us all to keep going and think of the pluses rather than the minuses.Sending you a hug.

Peg Cherre said...

So sorry you're in pain and can
Have been meaning to tell you JUST HOW WONDERFUL that article of yours in Handwoven is, comparing towel fabric absorbency. DEFINITELY my favorite part of this issue!

Keep your spirits up the best you can and give yourself the time to heal. Pushing yourself is likely to cause the inflammation to continue longer.