Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Crossing Things Off



This is it - the last of the painted warps.  It's been a very long time, much longer than I had hoped, but then when Life Happens, all you can do is weather the storm as best you can and if your plans go awry?  Well, that is how Life Happens.

Weavers are, by their nature, a bit of a control freak.  We tend to love the tiny minutiae that is involved in the process.  We talk about a thread under tension being a thread under control.  We nit pick the slightest inconsistency.  We fuss when things don't turn out the way we want, even though the results are perfectly acceptable.

Weaving keeps us humble as time after time things go zooming out of our control and we fight to bring them back to where we want them to be.

So at last, at very long last, I am getting the 'last' of the painted warps into the loom.  It will be done before the official new year will take place (she says, trying to exert control).

I have a long list of stuff to make for the craft fairs next year and a much too large stash that I am hoping will yield the majority of the yarn with which to make it.  I'm really hoping to see my stash reduce, not grow.  So far that hasn't worked too well as I have bought yarns to use as warp in order to use Lynn's Legacy.  And I have used up quite a lot of that fine linen.  But there is more!

But now I need to turn my attention to other things, other yarns.  Topping the list are some special orders, which I'm really determined to get woven and delivered before surgery.  I'm just waiting for a part for the AVL and the wide table topper warp can go on that loom.  Once this scarf warp is done, I need to weave two special orders of place mats.  And then I can begin inventory for the shows next year.  I've already got the yarn for a run of shawls picked out and a tentative draft.

So much yarn, so many ideas, so little time.


4 comments:

Sandra Rude said...

"So much yarn, so many ideas, so little time." Oh how true! I'm trying to do the same stash reduction. I suspect some of the reduction will necessitate weaving things I'd really not prefer to be doing, but needs must. We'll see how well we both do at that effort!

Laura Fry said...

Indeed! Stash reduction is a worthy goal for those of us who have SABLE!

Cheers
Laura

Antonia Renee said...

Including some weaving plans in my 2015 goals :-) Best wishes in the new year Laura. I enjoy your blog even though I don't comment. However when I see a tweet that you have a new post I try to come over and see what you are weaving :-)

Laura Fry said...

Thanks, Antonia. Best wishes to you for the coming year.
Cheers
Laura