Saturday, April 11, 2015

Unsure



Sometimes you just don't know what you are going to get until you start weaving.  So it was with this yarn as weft.

In the skein and on the cone it wasn't particularly appealing to the eye.  The pale areas were so very pale in comparison to the darker it looks quite jarring.  But I was short of yarns that would go on this dark blue warp so I threw caution to the wind and wound the bobbins.

As it happens, I quite like it.  Surprise!  (Sometimes they are pleasant!!!)

Again, colours aren't quite true to life but you can see how the variegated sections move through the cloth in a nice undulation.  Sometimes variegated yarns have colours that 'pool' unattractively.  This time I think they look quite interesting, and I'm pleased with this shawl.

The other two are going to be woven with two different shades of blue in what I call a 'semi-solid' and they are much 'safer' so I know they'll be fine.  No surprises, pleasant or otherwise.

Currently reading Ghost Boy by M. Pistorius.

3 comments:

Pia said...

It looks like moonlight on water.

Anonymous said...

Using variegated yarn always seems like a crapshoot to me but it worked out beautifully here!

Dogmommy4 said...

Really lovely! Using variegated yarns is like weaving roulette :-)