Friday, January 8, 2016

Scratching Below the Surface


There is a philosophy that many people have expressed in each their unique way, but which pretty much means the same thing.  It is a philosophy I subscribe to.

Pablo Picasso puts it this way:   Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.

Dalai Lama XIV says:  Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively.

While it is possible to learn a craft, a discipline, by simply leaping into the deep end, willy nilly, the results will likely be less than hoped for, less than expected, less than desired.  

So, to all those new weavers coming into the fold, welcome to the wonderful world of weaving.  I strongly recommend getting in touch with a good teacher, take a class, scratch well below the surface.  Because weaving is multi-faceted, layered with subtle changes that can drastically affect the outcome of crossing weft through warp.   

Not all yarns, looms, tools or processes are created equal.  And when one thing changes, everything can change. 

If you don't have a weaver available in person there are on line resources.  I recommend Janet Dawson's Craftsy class.  She will get you grounded in the basics and you will learn the vocabulary of the technology, which will make asking questions...and understanding the answers...easier. 

If you prefer books, check out Peggy Ostercamp.  She has a website with lots of hints and tips.  

And of course, my own endeavours at education.  My paper publications are out of print but occasionally appear for sale on eBay etc.  In addition to the DVDs there is the webinar A Good Yarn I did for Interweave.  And of course the video clips on my You Tube channel.

Pursuing weaving can be a lifelong exploration.  I have been at it for 40 years now, and I still learn new stuff.  How exciting!  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are saying it, what I think about our weaving and spinning..and i am allways learning .thanks..best wishes from the north of germany