Monday, May 16, 2016

Multi-tasking?

I feel like a one armed paper hanger at the minute.  There are so many things to juggle I am having a hard time staying on track to finish any one thing.


I wish my studio looked this neat and tidy right now - there are boxes piled all over as I try to sort through some of the yarn I bought in March, mark one more level one students homework from last year, attempt to get some place mat inventory woven and get ready to teach starting this Saturday.

Truth is, I'm not really multi-tasking but doing one thing for a short period of time before the thought squirrels send me to another, then the next.  I suppose I could call it serial tasking?

I have also been checking schedules for the rest of this year and the start of next.  While I am still healthy I would like to travel some more, and perhaps teach some more.  I've been talking with a couple of people about expanding the Olds program to other locations.  Whether or not I would be the one teaching those, I don't know.  But it would be fun if it was.

Doug is working on moving my stuff out of the annex - not a simple thing so it is taking a great deal of his time.  I do appreciate his attention to detail.  But the impending move is just one more thing in the back of my head - although I try to not think about it right now - there are too many other more pressing things to think about.

But the class here is coming together nicely.  Part of the challenge is that, since I'm teaching at home (so to speak) I can utilize all sorts of learning/teaching aides that I wouldn't ordinarily get to use because I can't transport them all.  But it also makes for more work as they have to be moved to the guild room...and then back again.  Still, it's nice that I have them for the students to reference.

So - back to the serial tasking!  It won't get done if I don't get back there and do it.

Currently reading The Brain by David Eagleman

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I want to talk to you about expanding the Olds program to the Gaelic College in Cape Breton (see you in August)....seriously! This has been on my mind. Dianne

Laura Fry said...

Definitely! :)

Unknown said...

Great!!! We've got the facilities and the weaving studio....when can we start??? LOL

Rhonda from Baddeck said...

Serial tasking is a lot more effective than multi-tasking. Contrary to what we perceive, the brain isn't wired to do several simultaneous tasks EFFECTIVELY - we think we can, but studies show otherwise. It sounds like your method is effective - things get done!

Peg Cherre said...

I believe I've read/heard that multi-tasking is a misnomer, that it's always serial tasking. I agree that it gets things done, although I find it more stressful when my brain does this task hopping. My OCD nature likes to finish things and serial tasking doesn't usually allow me to do this. Does that mean I don't get stuck in the task hopping loop? Nope. Although I do it less than I used to. :-)