Monday, July 10, 2017

Punky


Feeling a wee bit punky today after dental surgery this morning.

I have a phobia about such things due to an unfortunate encounter with a dentist when I was 5 or so.  Standard dental care, no problem, but otherwise?  Nervous!

So last night I didn't sleep well in anticipation of the 9 am appointment.

However, I would really like to get my mouth fixed, so I showed up on time and with as good an attitude as I could manage given my history.

The orthodontist was very kind and reports from friends who had seen him were all highly positive.  So I got into the 'zone' and let him do what was necessary.

In the end, the situation wasn't as bad as it could have been so it all went well (according to him!)

I'm supposed to ice for 10 minutes on, 10 minutes off, which doesn't leave a lot of time for doing any handwork.  So I've been vegging on the ipad, cycling through Facebook, Ravelry, my emails and round and round and round I go.

After eating a big bowl of rice pudding I made when I got home this morning, however, I'm feeling a little more perky.  That, plus the hour long nap, I suppose!

Anyway, so far so good with pain management and the swelling doesn't seem to be terrible, so hopefully I can do 'light' duties tomorrow.  

Yesterday I pulled colours for yet another tea towel warp, the loom is currently empty, so that needs to be dealt with, plus there is homework to mark, book to be read, puzzles to make, knitting and plying to be done.

If I don't get anything accomplished tomorrow, it won't be from lack of options!

3 comments:

Sandra Rude said...

We must be on the same dental calendar! I have to have a crown replaced tomorrow morning, so my sympathies are with you as you recover from your dental work. Tomorrow, I expect I'll be feeling about as punky as you do now. Hang in there, it gets better.

Marlene said...

I'm another with dental office anxiety that stems back to brutal treatment by a dentist when I was very young. I used to live in Prince George. I wonder if we were traumatized by the same dentist? My dad used to call him "Dr Aching" which was a play on the man's actual name.

Now I'm deathly allergic to chlorhexidine as well and it is widely used in dental procedures. Despite informing my current dentist of the allergy at EVERY single visit, she forgot and nearly irrigated a surgical site with it. Imagine my anxiety now!

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hopefully your trips to the dentist will be limited.

Laura Fry said...

One thing I have learned over the years is to constantly remind medical people of my special circumstances. I had your dentist for years, but he was good compared to the one I had previous to him! Years of taking medication that causes dry mouth has done a number on my teeth. :(