Thursday, August 23, 2018

Patina



Both of my looms have developed a patina on the beater top where I alternately use right and left hands to bring the beater forward and back.

This loom was a rescue loom but I don't remember the patina being this obvious when I first brought her home, so the patina here likely reflects the many hours of weaving we have done together.

This marking doesn't bother me.  I find it comforting, in a way.  A reflection of our journey together, making textiles.  Mostly tea towels, place mats, shawls, scarves.  Even a few rugs.  A partnership between tool and tool user.

To me it reflects many hours spent together making cloth.  My happy place.

The finish is wearing off on the left hand side a wee bit.  Probably because of my wedding band.  If it gets bad enough I may ask Doug to refinish the beater top.  But for now, it's just a mark of our work together.  Work that I hope will continue for many years to come.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Patina is a good sign of a much loved and used tool!

It may not be necessary to refinish the top bar. I use Murphy's oil soap and it cleans the oil / soil mix r off and doesn't harm the wood. Then you can use a oil or paste wax to buff up.