Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Order




end of a towel showing part of the motif and the hem area...

One of the things that really appeals to me is how the threads march steadfastly in order as I weave them into the cloth.

Yes, I know about the threading error in that block.  No, I'm not going to 'fix' it.  It won't affect the function of the cloth and I have decided to accept it as my unique maker's mark.  Yes, I know I'm lazy and I should have re-threaded 2/3's of the warp to fix it.  No, I didn't feel like it.  Which just goes to prove that I am not, and never will be 'perfect'.  Yes, I know some people will judge me.  That is their prerogative.

I have spent many years of my life making sure every textile I produced was 'perfect'.  IOW, without obvious error.

However, there comes a time when another part of you says, you know what?  I don't have the time or energy for that level of 'perfect' for this warp.

When it came to this warp, I felt ill (from the adverse effects of the 'miracle' cancer drug I'm taking) and I had a brain blip.  When I finished and had four 'extra' threads left over I was pretty sure I had made a mistake, went ahead to sley, tie on and start weaving.  If the mistake had been closer to the left hand side of the warp I probably would have sighed, taken the warp out and fixed it.  But it was much closer to the right hand side and I just Could Not Face re-threading that much warp.  For a mistake that really wasn't going to adversely impact the cloth's function.

It was also smack in the middle of the spring teaching trips and I just did not have the energy to deal with it.

Instead I decided to just accept the fact I could not deal with fixing it, that this warp was going to have a flaw - just like it's maker.  With all my wrinkles, excess poundage, aching muscles and joints.

On the other hand, this warp is bringing me a lot of happiness.  In spite of the mistake.  In spite of the flaw.  Just like I hope the towels will bring their future owners happiness.

After much delay while I worked on other stuff, I think I'm at about the halfway mark.  The loom is finally behaving - mostly - within tolerable limits - and I am going to try to weave as much of this warp as possible.  Because if I can bring the towels on my next trip to hem in the evenings, that would also make me happy.

And I will continue to enjoy the order as I lay the weft threads in and beat them into place.

No comments: