Sunday, May 26, 2024

#4000

 


Sports coat - silk warp and tabby weft, alpaca pattern weft

Blogspot tells me that this is post #4000 since I began blogging in 2008.  

Over the years I've written about a lot of different things.  I've shared my life, my weaving, what I'm doing, and you, dear reader(s), have come along for the journey.

In many ways, I've treated this blog as a diary.  Frequently I'll come here and type in a search term to remind myself of when something happened.  Or look for photos for an article I'm writing.

Over the past month I've been writing a few articles, and so I've been digging around in my photo files.  Sometimes I find what I'm looking for; sometimes I don't.

I used Doug's jacket in one of the articles, offered to get a close up and was asked if I would send one.

This fabric was a bit of a watershed moment for me in understanding the difference between ironing and a hard press (compression).  

Our 20th wedding anniversary was coming up, and I'd invited Doug to attend Convergence in San Jose.  I had hand woven clothing to wear, but he didn't, so I decided to make some cloth appropriate for a sport coat.  Two of the local guild members had used a tailor in Vancouver, so I contacted the tailor and made arrangements for Doug to be fitted.

The tailor was an 'old-fashioned' tailor and he made a very traditional sport coat.  Doug did wear it to 'special' occasions.  

I enjoyed making the cloth and working with fine threads - finer than I usually got to work with because I just couldn't get paid enough to do that.  OTOH, a gift?  Well, I was willing to work with such fine yarns for a special jacket for our 20th.

Now that we are retired (and continue to avoid large indoor gatherings) I don't know how much wear he will get out of it.  But he's kept it all these years, just in case.

I, otoh, can no longer get into my handwoven clothing.  I really ought to get rid of it.  But I keep thinking one day I'll lose weight and be able to wear it again.  (ha!  dream on!!!)


And here we are in 1990.  I remember that body, that energy.  Long gone, now.  Ah well, I *can* still weave!

(If you subscribe to Heddlecraft, look for the article in the next issue...)