Monday, August 26, 2013

Feel the Fear

and do it anyway.

That's the title of a book I've never read, but the title resonates throughout my being.

I have lived much of my life afraid.  Afraid of failure.  Afraid that people won't like me.  Afraid that I will make huge mistakes.  Or even just tiny ones.

The secret to living is to feel the fear and do it anyway.  So you fall flat on your face, so what?

There are very few mistakes in life - or in weaving - that are terminal.

Am I afraid that this new scarf line I've invested so much time and money into won't sell?

You betcha.

Am I afraid that, after spending all that money booking booths at various shows, I won't sell enough to cover the costs of doing the show?

Of course I am.

Do I worry about standing up in front of a crowd to speak?

Naturally.

But I do these things anyway.

I have published books that no 'real' publisher would have touched with a 20 foot barge pole.  Was I scared spitless?  Yes, indeed.

I have travelled far from home to give workshops, seminars and keynote addresses.  Written magazine articles and other publications.  Gone to conferences with a booth of yarns, textiles, books, hoping people would buy.

And always, there was a little niggling worm of doubt, a fearful spasm, a breath held until it went away.  Or at least retreated to the back of my mind instead of the forefront.

Wednesday I try something new and different.  That little niggling worm of doubt is alive and healthy.  But come 11 am Pacific Time I will go ahead and do it anyway.

 a field of flax in bloom - photo courtesy of Linda Heinrich - part of the A Good Yarn webinar http://weavingtoday.com

2 comments:

Rhonda from Baddeck said...

That's called 'courage.' Too many people let the fear keep them from trying. Good luck with the webinar tomorrow!

Marei said...

I needed to hear this today -- to be reminded that the "only thing to fear is fear itself" -- to keep moving in the direction I want to go. Thanks. And good luck with the webinar tomorrow.