Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Hubris

 



Once again I was reminded that I need to check ALL of the sheds to make sure they are clear before I jump in and begin weaving.

What this photo doesn't show is the repair I had to make due to a sleying error.

We are now advanced enough in the season that it is beginning to get dark by late afternoon.  We will get a reprieve when the clocks get turned back in a few weeks, but I took this quickndirtyndark shot under the loom to show someone inquiring about the latest warp what it would look like on the 'right' side.  Because I'm weaving it 'upside down' in order to lift the fewest number of shafts.

I got about 1/3 of the way through the first towel when my eye finally picked up the 'odd' thing happening and I stopped to try and figure it out.  I'm still not sure what was happening, just that somehow a couple of threads got wrapped around their neighbour threads and had to be cut out and re-directed.  Either I will keep this towel for me, or it can be cut up into dish cloths for a friend who prefers my oopsies rather than commercially made ones.

Or I'm quite sure a friend will take it off my hands as a 'second'.

I could have finished the towel as it was because frankly it was still weaving, just with a weird subtle thing happening.  But I didn't want to forget when I went back to the loom for the second towel so went ahead and fixed it.

And thought about the adage:  Don't spend a lot of time on a mistake just because it took a long time making it.

Mistakes are just that.  A miss-take.  They are not a character failing - unless you fail to own up to it and fix it.  The world will not end if you make a mistake in your weaving.  So when a miss-take happens?  It's just proof that you are human.  Mistakes happen.  Fix it and move on.

Last night I connected with the guild I'm giving the presentation to in Nov.  They approved of my approach so over the next few days I will begin pulling samples, sorting through my gigantic photo file looking for photos to illustrate my talk, and begin to build a Power Point presentation.  And then we'll do a quick run through.  Because I'm a Zoom newbie and nervous.

Hubris.  It's a thing.  And I still make mistakes.

(I am working on becoming more comfortable with Zoom and willing to do guild programs.  Also willing to tailor the topic to the guild interests.)

1 comment:

lyna said...

Making mistakes is one of the frustrating things about being human. Being able to fix them and continue to grow as a person--at any age--wonderful!
Thank you for sharing of the various challenges you face as you continue to weave a wonderful life. Thanks!
Lyna