Saturday, October 10, 2020

Language Matters

 



One of the things that changes over time is language.

This morning I was thinking about the things that I write about, how frequently I repeat what I have to say, and how I feel like a 'broken record'.

At which point I stopped and realized that you have to be over a certain age before you might get the reference.  

And then I thought about how people learn at their own rate.  That even though I might say the same thing in a hundred different ways, not everyone will understand.  They may not have the foundation of knowledge in order to absorb the information, yet.

In other words, when the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

In truth, the teacher has been there all along, the student just wasn't ready to absorb the teaching.

Acquiring knowledge is a complex process.  People need to layer down the information, filling the holes in their foundation of knowledge until they can begin to build upwards and onwards from the basics.

Weaving is a complex process with a multitude of steps that must be done in a particular order.  Until a person knows and can replicate those steps it is going to be more difficult for them to expand their knowledge.

And so yesterday when I wrote yet another article with much of the same information I have written about countless times before, it was in a different format with a bit of a different focus.  At the end of the article (just over 1000 words with a word count of 1000 being aimed for) I wondered if I had actually said anything new at all.

But the point isn't saying something 'new', it is saying the same old thing but in a - perhaps - new way.  A way that might get through to someone who may have heard the same things before, but not been able to grasp the importance of what they were hearing.

I am waiting to hear if one magazine is at all interested (I suspect that they may have commissioned someone else to write a similar article and they won't want mine), but if not I have another publication I can offer it to.  Because I feel that the information is necessary and if it means that I personify that broken record, I can do that.  

Because language matters.  And language is the way we convey information

In the meantime, the words that I wrote are being ignored for a while so that when I re-read it, I can hopefully have perspective and can edit it to make sure it makes sense.  And fix any typos.  

1 comment:

toni gatland said...

Absolutely spot on Laura. We all stumble around in a new environment, it takes time to navigate and become comfortable with new and often seemingly incomprehensible information.
Knowledge requires a base and that takes experience to build and build onto.
Well said!