Friday, October 9, 2020

The Light

 


One way or another, this warp will be done today.  I have nowhere to go and nothing much to do, other than finish weaving this warp.  So that is my goal.  Weave one, declare it done, or weave two.  I still can't judge on this loom how much warp is left on the beam because this beam is 14" (approximately) in circumference, while the AVL was one yard.  So I think there might be enough for two towels, but I can't be sure until I get one more woven off and then see how much is left.

Frankly I'm about ready to just let it go.  Except I really like this colour combination!  But honestly?  I am not much interested in playing yarn chicken and I'd rather cut my losses than get 3/4s of the way through a towel and run out of warp.

So I'm not too bothered one way or another.  One or two.  But which ever it is, the warp will be cut off the loom today.

And the cycle will begin again...

2 comments:

steelwool said...

I am sorry but I find it nice that even a master weaver doesn't always have the yardage worked out to the last inch. I am still in the "yippee, I have 2 towels," with the more often "swatch at the end". I have visions of a quilted bag made from leftover bits. thanks for improving my day.
stay well,
Mickey

Laura Fry said...

Well, that's the thing - all of my weaving life I have just put on really long warps and woven them until they were used up (more or less). I don't fuss about throwing away a few ounces of yarn from a 20+ yard long warp. :) In this case, there was less than a towel worth of warp left. I might have made a dish cloth, maybe even two, but I didn't feel like it. so the warp was cut off and put into the recycle bin. I didn't weigh it but there wasn't much left. If I need to be more precise, I can be, but as often as not I don't quite hit it right so tend to put extra on as a fudge factor. Just in case. :)